You have come across a great app idea, and then what to do with it? Yes, this happened to many of us, and it can be assumed that millions of app ideas were buried under the debris of oblivion and never have been pursued by actual development. So, think once more, are you serious about the idea and want to turn the idea into a successful app product.
On the other hand, too many apps in the market built involving a great idea but couldn’t do justice to the concept with a befitting success story. So, having a great idea can best be the embryo from where the life cycle of the app starts. It is all about excellent execution through development and marketing that can turn your app idea into success.
Instead of getting overwhelmed by your app idea, start with the following steps to see the concept being shaped into a successful app product.
Guide to Turn App Development Idea Into Reality
Carry Out Extensive Research
Just as you plan to visit a new country after reading tour guides and researching cost and travel experience, you also need to conduct deeper research for an app idea.
First of all, consider the app idea as a serious project with huge potential to generate revenue. Since the app business is chokingly competitive, you need to pace your steps by evaluating each aspect cautiously.
Before getting into the development, you need to do extensive market research and understand the users. Here are a few questions you need to answer as part of your audience and market research.
- Is my app going to solve any relevant problems for the users?
- Who are the users, and what is their age, gender, occupation, social position, etc.?
- What mobile devices most of my target users use?
- What are my closest competitor apps with a similar value proposition? What platforms do these apps mostly belong to? What are the key positive attributes and pain points of these apps?
- How can my app offer better value than these competitor apps?
- What are the key pros and cons of my app idea?
- What is the marketing strategy embraced by competitor apps, and what methods worked for them?
- How do competitor apps make money and convert business?
Create a Prototype
Now that you have finished your research, it’s time to create a prototype that is just a model of the ultimate app product. Now prototypes are of 3 distinct types, and you can choose the one that fits your app idea best.
- Conceptual prototype refers to the schematic drawing of the app screens. These prototypes created in the premature stages of app development solve many usability issues for the app.
- The interactive prototype offers a similar schematic design of the app screens with some scopes for interaction such as the use of simulated user script or user journey to evaluate user experience, the detailed depiction of the logic behind the interface, user evaluation of the specific user journey in particular areas, etc. These prototypes work great for fetching investors for the app project.
- The Animated prototype offers a simulated interface and depicts the user interface and user experience of the intended app much better for detailed review and evaluation. This type of prototype is very effective for feature-rich and complex app projects involving multiple screens.
Develop In-House or Outsource?
Now let’s come to the actual development phase. You have three different options to carry out the app development.
- Hiring an app development company for development.
- Hiring skilled designers and developers for building the app.
- Developing the app yourself.
The third option is out of the question if you are not a developer by profession. You can choose one as per your budget, long-term goal, and aspirations between the first two options. For small-budget app projects, it is advisable to hire a development company with competitive pricing. You can then decide to build in-house if you have several app projects in the pipeline and find it perfectly fine to deal with the overhead burden of the in-house team.
At this stage, you also need to decide whether you want to develop a cross-platform app for running across multiple platforms or you want to stick to one platform for your release. It is advisable to go for one platform at a time if you prefer building native iOS and Android apps. You can hire a Mobile app development company in India to get the most cost-competitive quote and later can make the Android version. Some efficient cross-platform technologies such as Flutter and React Native help you deliver a native experience while releasing for both iOS and Android.
Go for an MVP Development Approach
The Minimum Viable Product (MVP) approach suits all emerging projects best simply because it allows building the app in installments while having total control on the gradual value additions based on user feedback. Instead of making the fully-fledged app with a whole load of design and feature attributes, build and release a basic app justifying the key app concept and core user experience.
As the user feedback pours in, address the shortcomings and loopholes in the subsequent updates by bringing changes and new features. This is how you can reduce the initial development cost while creating value as per the user’s opinions and feedback.
Give Priority to Testing
Finally, give extreme emphasis on app testing. Remember, once released in the market and exposed to the audience, and a faulty app will bring home a negative impression that cannot be corrected so easily.
It is advisable to incorporate continuous testing throughout the app project. If you have embraced test automation or agile method, you can get the advantages of uncompromising testing and evaluation for the app.
We just tried to address the basic and elementary steps that any new app idea should follow to shape a successful app product that finds quick traction and user engagement. Perfection on every parameter you should drive for, not less.